Thursday, March 4, 2010

Memorable Meals Part I

I think it might be worthwhile to occasionally wax on for a brief period about some of the great culinary experiences I have had over the years. One would think that many or most of these would have come from 4 or 5 star restaurants, but the truth is, almost all of them have been in 'just some place' I managed to wander into on my travels. Here is one that took place in Athens, Greece when I crew-rested there while in the Air Force flying in C-141s circa the early 1970s.

Sorry, but I don't know the name of the restaurant, but it was one of hundreds in Athens and it seemed a very popluar spot and you'll soon see why.

There are two things I remember distinctly about this experience, though it is now almost forty years ago. The first, of course, was the food. It is one of the few meals that I have not been able to reproduce successfully since.

What I remember about it was that I had lamb, braised in a very rich stock served with potatoes. But what was unique about this is that as part of the stock there was a rich layer of some type of wilted lettuce. Well, at least I think it was lettuce. It didn't look like any type of cabbage I ever had, but I have never been able to find out through experimentation what it actually was. [If there are any Greek cooks out there who know what it might have been, please let me know!] At any rate it was stupendous and it has influenced my cooking in a number of ways: knowing how to make really good stocks (a later blog perhaps) and understanding that lettuce is not something that has to be served cold -- it can be cooked, and quite successfully.

The other part of this particular experience was the atmosphere. It is rare to achieve the levity and joie-de-vivre that this restaurant imparted to its clientele, but, and I don't think I had anything to drink, this was probably one of the most fun dinners I ever had.

One of the waiters was an outstanding tenor and he would literally erupt in song throughout the evening. It was wonderful and his enthusiasm and joy permeated the restaurant and all of us eating there. We had a great time and great food. What more can you ask for?

This is one of those feelings, occasionally achieved at our long, many-course gourmet dinners, that truly make cooking and eating a great pleasure. Of course, a bit of good wine and song never hurt to start things off. Those of you who have been at such meals with me, you know what I'm talking about.

Best,

Joe Koob

No comments:

Post a Comment